Wednesday, January 9, 2008

WATCH THIS...






"Light skinned, dark skinned, my Asian persuasion..." -Feedback, Janet Jackson


What is Janet really talking about? I would honestly like to know. Wait a minute, while I find out who wrote this song.... oh yeah, that explains it.




I guess the saying "if its not broken don't fix it" would apply to Ms. Jackson's millionth comeback but I was hoping that I would be pleasantly surprised with something different. Heavy breathing, seductive singing over a synthesized beat while wearing space inspired attire and a sturdy yet, yaky ponytail seems to be what's hot and it doesn't look like its cooling down anytime soon. [Even Britney did it, think 'Oops I Did Again.] I mean, damn how many times must we go down this route. Bring Velvet Rope Janet back, please.


I'm not mad at it I'm really not. She is one of the originators that generations have incessantly followed and will continue to look up to. However, when artists like Jackson have grown within an ever changing industry and has established themselves as icons, I as a fan would love to see the growth in their music. Janet is known for her dancing and that can never be taken away but I would really like to see her not try and compete with the Beyonce, Rihanna and Ciara's of the music biz. Its like watching my mother try and recapture her youth. Its over. Grow old gracefully. You can do it.


Janet has without a doubt solidified herself as a legend therefore in my mind there is no need to compete. Quite frankly, although the song is cute and would probably be jumpin' in the club. I would much rather hear her sing about something more relevant for a 40 something.


You don't see Prince trying to sound like J.Holiday do you? My point exactly.

No comments: