Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"I am not my hair, I am not this skin..."-- India Arie.



Ok. So I'm not going to lie. I had to really push myself to write this post. I thought, "Hmm... there really isn't anyone reading this [mental comment: as of yet] and I'm really tired..." but something said HALT! Get yourself together and share this particular experience.

An experience that is serious, yet not that serious. Enlightening yet filled with comical entertainment. And so I sit here... typing. Hoping that you might get some pleasure out my pain. [Pardon the melodramatic commentary...]

So if you don't know by now, I am of mixed ethnicity... my mother is Haitian and my pops is Cuban... Afro Cuban.

I generally don't see myself as mixed and I don't bring up the fact that I am Cuban to many people cause... well, cause I just don't. Plus I strive not to be like Tiger Woods.


Many people, especially black people think that I'm lying or that I'm trying to be something I'm not. The only thing that ever proves that I am really what I say I am [not that I really should have to] is meeting my father and hearing for yourself his thick Tony Montana like accent.


Or analyzing my hair.



Yup... that was all mine.




And this too..


My crown and shining glory.

My mane.

For some stupid, odd and absolutely ignorant reason my hair has helped me save face in many of situations. I'm not of a light complexion. As a matter of fact I would fail any brown paper bag test miserably. And because of Willie Lynch and his letters, many people don't consider me the standard of beauty.I obviously missed that memo when it was first issued because that is biggest load of crap I ever heard.

Back to the hair....

The fact that I have always had shoulder length [or longer hair], people seem to give me a pass. As if to say, "she's pretty cause she has long hair".... wait, what?

I hated that. So on my 21st birthday. I chopped it all off. I decided I would stop relaxing my hair and grow it out naturally. Initially I want to get locks and have a whole new look. Goapele was the inspiration.



Goapele



Now locks are out and Janelle's lovely mane is in. So what, I'm a biter. And?! Tell me her hair isn't just grand!



Janelle Monae



When I cut my hair off... my mother had a FIT! She keeps this picture of me with my hair at its longest in her wallet.





I find that so disappointing. Why is my hair supposed to be the source of my beauty? Doesn't any else see something depressingly wrong with this?! And don't people think it will grow back in natural state?


Its different but I'm glad I made the decision to cut the cream crack off my head. It was time. Now, I have a whole plethora of things to experiment with. I wear weaves, wigs, whatever... you name it! I think I'm going to get a curly weave this time like my friend has it... I told you I was a biter. lol.





Once my hair gets a little more "hutzpah" to it.. I'll wear it out. I can't wait. I know you can't either!

No comments: